Drogba gives Blues belief
Chelsea will take a one-goal lead to the Camp Nou after edging past the champions at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.
A general 4/1 to win on the night, the Blues had to repel an early onslaught but struck on the break moments before half-time when Didier Drogba converted Ramires’ cross to land first scorer odds of 10/1 with Bet Victor.
It was an evening on which Barcelona huffed and puffed but the final touch was lacking. Cesc Fabregas spurned the visitors’ best chance in the first half while Carlos Puyol and Sergio Busquets also came close after the interval.
But it was Roberto Di Matteo’s men who held on, obliging punters who backed a 1-0 home win at 14/1.
However, Barca remain heavy favourites to qualify the final with Bwin offering a standout 6/17. Totesport go 7/2 on the Londoners making it through.
The Blues are available at 11/1 (Boylesports) to triumph in Cataluña, while they have been trimmed marginally in the outright market, now generally available at 13/2 to claim the crown.
Pep Guardiola’s side are still the tournament jollies but they are now odds against, with Real Madrid at 3s and Bayern Munich 4/1.
Result: Chelsea 1-0 Barcelona
- @MattPBriggs Call me an old cynic, but also think it's vital Brazil do well for govt & FIFA. If South Korea can reach the semis... — 4 hours 21 min ago
- @MattPBriggs If they win group and do OK with SF oppo, extra day's rest could be a massive advantage ahead of the final. — 4 hours 33 min ago
- @MattPBriggs Group schedule is bonkers. Cumulative effects could be huge. Brazil only vulnerable to climate/recovery time at SF stage. — 4 hours 35 min ago
- Before a ball is even plucked, I make Brazil a bet at 7/2. If they don't reach the semis and trade at shorter than 2/1, I'll eat my hat. — 4 hours 44 min ago
- @wolvesbradders Think his ability will only become more obvious the higher up he goes. Reminds me of Paul Lambert in that respect. — 8 hours 57 min ago