Underdog Addicks shock Seasiders
Second-half strikes from Leon Cort and Chris Solly sealed the win for Chris Powell’s side, forcing bookies to pay out on the visitors at odds as long as Coral’s 9/2, and ended a miserable run of just one victory in seven outings for the Addicks.
Ian Holloway's men had sat atop the Championship table just four matches ago, but a run of three defeats in that time has seen them slip down to eighth spot, and their promotion odds have drifted out to a best of 4/1 available with Ladbrokes as a result.
A controversial DJ Campbell goal on his debut had given the hosts a lead shortly before the interval, but the Icelandic frontman converted two easy chances to seal the points and bring home offerings of 7/5.
The Bluebirds’ odds for the title have been slashed across the board, and Malky Mackay’s men can be backed at as short as 7/2 with some firms, although 9/2 is the best available. Meanwhile, Paul Jewell’s side are now no better than 5/2 to end the season in the bottom three after an eight-match streak without a win.
Wilfried Zaha netted his second brace in as many matches, while Glenn Murray and Damien Delaney were also on target, as Dougie Freedman’s Eagles won 4-3 to take their recent tally to 19 points from a possible 21 since the start of September.
The south London outfit are still outsiders in the promotion stakes in the eyes of the bookmakers, however, and Ladbrokes chalk them up at 10/1 for promotion, while their opponents Burnley are now 15/2 for the drop this term.
Jermaine Beckford hit the only goal of the game for the Terriers inside the opening half an hour and the Blues, who was Nikola Zigic handed a straight red card during the second period, were roundly booed off at full-time.
Results: Birmingham 0-1 Huddersfield, Blackburn 0-1 Wolves, Blackpool 0-2 Charlton, Crystal Palace 4-3 Burnley, Derby 0-0 Brighton, Leeds 1-0 Barnsley, Leicester 2-0 Bristol City, Millwall 2-1 Bolton, Peterborough 0-1 Nott’m Forest, Sheff Wed 0-1 Hull, Watford 1-2 Middlesbrough, Ipswich 1-2 Cardiff.
Best of the Bets Show
- Big basketball action tonight as the Spurs meet the Grizzlies. @Heavenbet prices are available here: http://t.co/hiOy0ziDHX — 1 hour 47 min ago
- @vasman60 Yeah, well weird. Don't mind this Eastern/Western business, so long as they sort a bog-standard round-robin. — 2 hours 37 min ago
- Been umming and ahhing about punting on MLS but my OCD couldn't cope with a league consisting of 19 teams. Nice one, City. #fuckoffredbulls — 2 hours 47 min ago
- @OllieHolt22 It's also going to be the most biased thing you've ever read. Loved his last one, but nearly every page needed a pinch of salt. — 3 hours 37 min ago
- If Arsene Wenger steps down this summer, Twitter will be the world's longest-serving manager of tiresome tweets. — 3 hours 49 min ago