Exiles feeling at home
Newport County continued their fine start to the Blue Square Bet Premier campaign with a third straight success on Saturday.
The Exiles are the only side with a 100% record after seeing off Lincoln 2-1 at new home Rodney Parade.
Following impressive victories over Mansfield and Nuneaton, striking eight times along the way, Justin Edinburgh’s men were evens with Coral to seal another victory and they didn’t take long to make their mark as Aaron O’Connor struck just seven minutes in. The former Luton striker netted again before the break and despite Jamie Taylor’s 51st-minute effort for the Imps, County held on.
It may only be early days but the Welsh side have been swiftly backed in for the title. Having been available at 50/1 just a week ago, Edinburgh’s men are now 10/1 with Stan James after their flying start.
Meanwhile, the two relegated clubs have performed encouragingly in their early forays. They met on the opening weekend, with Hereford sealing a 2-1 win, but Macclesfield have seen off Wrexham and Dartford since. The Bulls remain unbeaten after Saturday’s victory at Alfreton.
Luton, Cambridge and Tamworth also sit on seven points after their successes this weekend. The Hatters made hard work of it at newly-promoted Hyde while the latter two held off Southport and Stockport respectively.
Paul Buckle’s side are 2/1 favourites for the crown ahead of 8/1 Mansfield, who got off the mark against Kidderminster. The Stags had slumped to back-to-back losses, shipping eight goals along the way, but Lindon Meikle’s double at Aggborough helped them to a 3-2 triumph.
Harriers remain pointless, along with Dartford, while Nuneaton, Alfreton, Barrow, Southport, Grimsby and Hyde are all yet to pick up three points.
Results: Alfreton 0-3 Hereford, Cambridge 2-0 Southport, Ebbsfleet 1-1 Wrexham, Gateshead 1-1 Forest Green, Grimsby 0-0 Nuneaton, Hyde 1-2 Luton (Fri), Kidderminster 2-3 Mansfield, Macclesfield 2-0 Dartford, Newport 2-1 Lincoln, Tamworth 1-0 Stockport, Woking 3-1 Barrow
Best of the Bets Show
- @ilungamwepu He's only in it for the bitches. — 1 hour 30 min ago
- Fulham win 3-0 away from home in what is the most astonishing scoreline of the day. — 1 hour 36 min ago
- @OOSOUL_ Saints too short for me. Prefer -1 on handicap at 2/1+ Great team if you pick the right battles, many punt the numbers blindly. — 8 hours 25 min ago
- @OOSOUL_ Performance data, Pete. Pummeling teams most weeks on shot ratios since Pochettino arrived. The new Liverpool. — 8 hours 49 min ago
- I've just seen the Brentford open top victory parade bus being prepared. Nothing can go wrong now! — 9 hours 35 min ago