Brendan Rodgers’ first game in charge of Liverpool couldn’t have gone much worse as the Reds fell to a 3-0 defeat at West Brom, in a match where they conceded two penalties and had Daniel Agger dismissed for a professional foul.
They were 1-0 winners at Hearts in the Europa League on Thursday, but it doesn’t get any easier domestically for the Anfield club with a visit this Sunday from the champions. Joe Cole’s return to the side at the Hawthorns was cut short and, along with Jose Enrique, he looks a fitness doubt.
Manchester City rescued three points last weekend, coming from 2-1 down with 18 minutes to play to beat newly-promoted Southampton at Eastlands.
However, Roberto Mancini was concerned with the first-half injury to Sergio Aguero, who is expected to miss a month. The City boss will now decide between Edin Dzeko – who struck the equaliser against the Saints – and Mario Balotelli for a starting spot alongside Carlos Tevez in attack.
Four of the last five meetings between these clubs on Merseyside have ended in stalemates including last season’s 1-1 draw, and it would be no surprise to see this encounter end level again.
Verdict: Liverpool 1-1 Man City
Best of the Bets Show
- It's the biggest game in Danish football since Euro 92! Horsens v Brondy, loser down, winner stays up. Live betting available now @HeavenBet — 51 min 57 sec ago
- For the last time this season, painful analogies vaguely related to football: http://t.co/PrHqlulEMa — 6 hours 56 min ago
- Bottom of La Liga Mallorca simply must win to stand a chance of staying up. They are 2.5 @heavenbet at home to Real Betis. Visitors are 2.8. — 7 hours 47 min ago
- That's the Premier League all done, but still plenty to be decided across Europe. Anzhi are 1.6 @heavenbet to see off Lokomotiv Moscow today — 7 hours 51 min ago
- @sammydymond should I be looking to add Siena to the current top triumvirate of Burkina Faso, Brentford & Forfar then? — 8 hours 35 min ago