Middlesbrough kept the pressure on the play-off spots as a narrow victory away at Derby kept them just two points behind the teams in fifth and sixth spots.
It was Boro’s first victory after an eight-match winless run over March and April.
Doncaster’s relegation was confirmed when they twice lost the lead in Saturday 4-3 home defeat to fellow strugglers Portsmouth.
It was a fourth straight defeat for Dean Saunders’ side, who are without a win in 10 outings, and are now five points behind Pompey in 23rd, while Habib Beye is suspended.
Middlesbrough have won eight of their last nine against Doncaster, and Boro should show their superior ability and ease to the points again.
Verdict: Middlesbrough 3-0 Doncaster
- To be so firmly back in the focus of City fans through local media will only strengthen his position if he proves to be successful. — 12 min 12 sec ago
- No secret that Rosler's long-term ambition is the City job. This move brings him a step closer, not just strategically but geographically. — 13 min 21 sec ago
- Seen nothing in his personality to suggest he will be overawed by the challenge. He strikes me as a pretty formidable character. — 18 min 38 sec ago
- Think he has a clear vision on how the game should be played. Progress could be quicker at Wigan with more experienced players. — 19 min 49 sec ago
- Rosler still relatively unproven. Steady progress at Brentford but he leaves without achieving his targets. Bags of potential though. — 21 min 4 sec ago