Middlesbrough kept the pressure on the play-off spots as a narrow victory away at Derby kept them just two points behind the teams in fifth and sixth spots.
It was Boro’s first victory after an eight-match winless run over March and April.
Doncaster’s relegation was confirmed when they twice lost the lead in Saturday 4-3 home defeat to fellow strugglers Portsmouth.
It was a fourth straight defeat for Dean Saunders’ side, who are without a win in 10 outings, and are now five points behind Pompey in 23rd, while Habib Beye is suspended.
Middlesbrough have won eight of their last nine against Doncaster, and Boro should show their superior ability and ease to the points again.
Verdict: Middlesbrough 3-0 Doncaster
- @Sammy_Goal They can't really afford another 'transitional season' imo. Need someone who knows the Prem and the club and is ready to go. — 8 hours 22 min ago
- @Parkypark Interesting. Depends how likely he is to start, but peak age and finishing the season with a flourish. Why not. — 9 hours 10 min ago
- Shame Valencia couldn't nick one near the end. Excitement tempered ahead of the 2nd leg. — 9 hours 40 min ago
- Stunning intro from @acjimbo on today's Football Weekly Extra. Genuine LOL on a busy metro. — 13 hours 29 min ago
- RT @HPoolMail: Hartlepool United fans are go for annual fancy dress party: http://t.co/Je8Uv7G2dt — 15 hours 44 sec ago