Stoke’s unspectacular end to the campaign continued after Peter Crouch’s opener against Arsenal could only muster the Potters a point.
City have won once in their last eight outings despite being unbeaten in their last five at the Britannia Stadium, leaking just three goals.
Everton remain favourites for seventh after extending their hot streak in front of goal with four against Fulham for the third successive game.
Nikica Jelavic’s third brace in four outings helped the Toffees rack up a fourth win in six matches, keeping four clean sheets in the process.
Stoke are proving resilient at home but face a tough test against an in-form Everton side, whose firepower might just lead them to another victory.
Verdict: Stoke 1-2 Everton
- I just ate lobster for the first time. Rubbish. Absolutely rubbish. — 18 hours 20 min ago
- @psmcallister Fulham and QPR were just mentioned at the start of the Atletico game as in "this is a club with a lower wage bill than..." — 18 hours 21 min ago
- @frontwards @psmcallister Same hair as you circa 1999. — 18 hours 22 min ago
- @psmcallister @frontwards I'm not sure what's most embarrassing for him here. — 18 hours 38 min ago
- @psmcallister Burnley's win means you can no longer go up automatically. Sorry mate. — 18 hours 42 min ago