Stoke’s unspectacular end to the campaign continued after Peter Crouch’s opener against Arsenal could only muster the Potters a point.
City have won once in their last eight outings despite being unbeaten in their last five at the Britannia Stadium, leaking just three goals.
Everton remain favourites for seventh after extending their hot streak in front of goal with four against Fulham for the third successive game.
Nikica Jelavic’s third brace in four outings helped the Toffees rack up a fourth win in six matches, keeping four clean sheets in the process.
Stoke are proving resilient at home but face a tough test against an in-form Everton side, whose firepower might just lead them to another victory.
Verdict: Stoke 1-2 Everton
- Arbiter Trevor Kettle might have been a better choice for the match last night @sammydymond — 5 hours 7 min ago
- @MikeNumber5 @The_Paris_Angel My problem's with % calls in general. At no point over 180 mins were we allowed to generate any head of steam. — 15 hours 52 min ago
- @mikeinmcr Mike, in my life I've probably watched 1000 football matches. The two legs of this tie have been bizarre outliers. — 16 hours 24 min ago
- Don't mean to sound bitter. Just feel like I've forked €200 to watch a world title fight and ended up at WWF wrestling. — 16 hours 41 min ago
- Well it's been an education. In the art of controlling football matches via the course of ambiguous decisions in the middle of the park. — 16 hours 47 min ago