Stoke’s unspectacular end to the campaign continued after Peter Crouch’s opener against Arsenal could only muster the Potters a point.
City have won once in their last eight outings despite being unbeaten in their last five at the Britannia Stadium, leaking just three goals.
Everton remain favourites for seventh after extending their hot streak in front of goal with four against Fulham for the third successive game.
Nikica Jelavic’s third brace in four outings helped the Toffees rack up a fourth win in six matches, keeping four clean sheets in the process.
Stoke are proving resilient at home but face a tough test against an in-form Everton side, whose firepower might just lead them to another victory.
Verdict: Stoke 1-2 Everton
- @Sammy_Goal They can't really afford another 'transitional season' imo. Need someone who knows the Prem and the club and is ready to go. — 8 hours 23 min ago
- @Parkypark Interesting. Depends how likely he is to start, but peak age and finishing the season with a flourish. Why not. — 9 hours 11 min ago
- Shame Valencia couldn't nick one near the end. Excitement tempered ahead of the 2nd leg. — 9 hours 41 min ago
- Stunning intro from @acjimbo on today's Football Weekly Extra. Genuine LOL on a busy metro. — 13 hours 30 min ago
- RT @HPoolMail: Hartlepool United fans are go for annual fancy dress party: http://t.co/Je8Uv7G2dt — 15 hours 1 min ago