Owls up as Blades denied
Sheffield Wednesday sealed promotion to the Championship after a comfortable victory over Wycombe on Saturday, condemning their city rivals to a place in the play-offs.
The Owls just needed to see off Wanderers at Hillsborough, having leapfrogged Sheffield United into the top two last week. And they were set on their way when Michail Antonio netted after 25 minutes.
Nile Ranger put the result beyond doubt shortly after the break, rendering the Blades’ fixture at relegated Exeter of little importance. As it was, Danny Wilson’s men struggled to a 2-2 draw and must settle for a play-off spot.
The 21/4 Grecians took the lead early on before the visitors had James Beattie sent off. But the ten men battled back through Lee Williamson and Kevin McDonald only to see City’s Scot Bennett equalise in added time.
While Wednesday are celebrating their return to the second tier alongside Charlton, United will be preparing to meet Stevenage in the end-of-season competition.
Boro needed to triumph on Saturday to cement sixth. They faced Bury, knowing that any dropped points could let Notts County and Carlisle spoil the party.
But while Notts were busy hammering Colchester 4-1 it wasn’t enough as Gary Smith’s men stood firm to edge out the Shakers 3-0 thanks to Craig Reid’s opener and second-half efforts from Joel Byrom and Chris Beardsley.
Huddersfield and MK Dons will meet in the other semi-final, with both 13/5 to go up. Lee Novak was among the goals for the Terriers, who saw off Yeovil 2-0 to finish fourth, a point ahead of MK, who were surprised at home by 5/1 Walsall.
There was little else to be decided on the final day, with Rochdale, Exeter, Chesterfield and Wycombe all already destined for the drop.
Meanwhile, champions Charlton hit the 100-point mark with a come-from-behind victory over Hartlepool. Danny Hollands, Danny Haynes and Yann Yermorgant were all on target after the interval in a 3-2 success.
Results: Bournemouth 1-0 Preston, Charlton 3-2 Hartlepool, Chesterfield 2-3 Brentford, Exeter 2-2 Sheff Utd, Huddersfield 2-0 Yeovil, Leyton Orient 2-1 Rochdale, MK Dons 0-1 Walsall, Notts County 4-1 Colchester, Oldham 2-1 Carlisle, Sheff Wed 2-0 Wycombe, Stevenage 3-0 Bury, Tranmere 1-1 Scunthorpe
- Is there such a thing as a Blackpool v Millwall live feed in this day and age? Or is the internet just a complete waste of fucking time? — 4 hours 2 min ago
- @MikeNumber5 @MacNab63 @murdochD Typical Spain. Unique definition of 'sold out'. Fingers crossed my card will be worth summat tomorrow! — 9 hours 34 min ago
- @GAVCITY @MikeNumber5 @MacNab63 @murdochD How much & where from? Getting loads of requests. — 9 hours 56 min ago
- Chris Powell gone. Harsh maybe, don't know the ins and outs. But that was no way to approach an FA Cup QF against lower division opposition. — 11 hours 16 min ago
- @Jackthehat74 With Tomo now, staying at mine tonight. Train gets in at 10.30 tomorrow morning. — 11 hours 29 min ago