More joy for slick Swans
The 11/10 Swans followed up their resounding opening-day success with a 3-0 victory over the Hammers, with summer recruit Michu on target once more. The former Rayo Vallecano striker hit his side’s second after Angel Rangel had put the hosts in front.
Danny Graham put a gloss on the scoreline after the break, leading Bet Victor and Coral to cut Laudrup’s men into 3/1 for a top-ten finish.
Fulham, who also enjoyed a five-star triumph last weekend, couldn’t repeat the feat but they did push Manchester United close at Old Trafford. 10/1 prior to kick-off, Martin Jol’s side took an early lead through Damien Duff before the hosts took control. Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa both opened their United accounts while Rafael was also on target in the first period.
But Nemanja Vidic’s second-half own goal made it a nervy ending for Sir Alex Ferguson’s men, and their cause wasn’t helped by the withdrawal of substitute Wayne Rooney with a gash to the leg.
Elsewhere, Everton built on their Monday night win with a 3-1 success at Villa Park, as Steven Pienaar, Marouane Fellaini and Nikica Jelavic netted for the impressive Toffees. Chelsea also maintained their 100% record after striding past Newcastle on home turf, while Tottenham and West Brom, and Norwich and QPR both played out 1-1 draws.
Sunday was a day of stalemates, too. Neither Stoke nor Arsenal could make a breakthrough at the Britannia as the Gunners endured a second successive goalless stalemate. And in the later game, Manchester City twice came from behind to peg back Liverpool, who were left lamenting Martin Skrtel’s misplaced backpass ten minutes from time. Carlos Tevez duly nipped in to rescue a 2-2 draw for the champions.
Results: Swansea 3-0 West Ham, Aston Villa 1-3 Everton, Man Utd 3-2 Fulham, Norwich 1-1 QPR, Southampton 0-2 Wigan, Sunderland P-P Reading, Tottenham 1-1 West Brom, Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle, Stoke 0-0 Arsenal, Liverpool 2-2 Man City
Best of the Bets Show
- @dih_uk Goal of the season competition from 1987/88 (when football wasn't rubbish) http://t.co/SvO1PAuLXQ Can you spot the trend? — 2 hours 12 min ago
- @Jonathan__Hill No mate, just footy atm, although Sam's your man for such enquiries now. Not sure about the summer schedule. — 9 hours 58 min ago
- Big basketball action tonight as the Spurs meet the Grizzlies. @Heavenbet prices are available here: http://t.co/hiOy0ziDHX — 23 hours 10 min ago
- @vasman60 Yeah, well weird. Don't mind this Eastern/Western business, so long as they sort a bog-standard round-robin. — 23 hours 59 min ago
- Been umming and ahhing about punting on MLS but my OCD couldn't cope with a league consisting of 19 teams. Nice one, City. #fuckoffredbulls — 1 day 10 min ago