Spurs end Manchester misery
Not since 1989 had Spurs tasted success at the home of the 19-time champions but they produced a stirring first-half performance and held off a late United fightback to secure a third straight Premier League victory.
Jan Vertonghen got the ball rolling early on and Gareth Bale doubled the advantage half an hour later. The hosts came out strongly after the break but no sooner had Nani pulled a goal back, Clint Dempsey re-established a two-goal lead. However, just a minute later Shinji Kagawa netted.
But despite a second-half onslaught, the visitors held out, landing odds of 11/2.
Early criticism of Andre Villas-Boas has subsided as his new charges have warmed to the task and they are now no bigger than 11/4 with Ladbrokes to finish in the top four.
Meanwhile, Alex Ferguson’s men have ceded title favouritism to their city rivals after the Citizens edged past Fulham on Saturday.
Once more, the Sky Blues couldn’t keep a clean sheet, with Mladen Petric putting the Cottagers in front from the spot, but Sergio Aguero and Edin Dzeko – three minutes from time – saw the champions through.
They can be backed at 13/8 for the crown, with United 21/10.
Elsewhere, 5/6 Liverpool finally secured their first league triumph of the campaign, demolishing winless Norwich 5-2 at Carrow Road. Luis Suarez notched a hat-trick, repeating the feat he achieved in last season’s fixture, while Steven Gerrard and Nuri Sahin were also on target.
Stoke also recorded a debut success, defeating Swansea 2-0 at the Britannia while Steven Fletcher was Sunderland’s hero once more, netting the winner against Wigan. The Scot is available at 25/1 with Bet Victor to top the Premier League scoring charts.
Results: Arsenal 1-2 Chelsea, Everton 3-1 Southampton, Fulham 1-2 Man City, Man Utd 2-3 Tottenham, Norwich 2-5 Liverpool, Reading 2-2 Newcastle, Stoke 2-0 Swansea, Sunderland 1-0 Wigan, Aston Villa v West Brom (Sun), QPR v West Ham (Mon)
Best of the Bets Show
- Big basketball action tonight as the Spurs meet the Grizzlies. @Heavenbet prices are available here: http://t.co/hiOy0ziDHX — 11 hours 30 sec ago
- @vasman60 Yeah, well weird. Don't mind this Eastern/Western business, so long as they sort a bog-standard round-robin. — 11 hours 49 min ago
- Been umming and ahhing about punting on MLS but my OCD couldn't cope with a league consisting of 19 teams. Nice one, City. #fuckoffredbulls — 12 hours 19 sec ago
- @OllieHolt22 It's also going to be the most biased thing you've ever read. Loved his last one, but nearly every page needed a pinch of salt. — 12 hours 49 min ago
- If Arsene Wenger steps down this summer, Twitter will be the world's longest-serving manager of tiresome tweets. — 13 hours 2 min ago