Torres treble sinks Rangers
A first Chelsea hat-trick from the much-maligned Fernando Torres helped the Blues to a thumping 6-1 victory against West London rivals Queens Park Rangers, a result that had meaningful implications at the top and bottom of the Premier League.
A first minute goal from 5/1 opening scorer Daniel Sturridge set the Champions League finalists on their way, while a John Terry header and two smart finishes from Torres put them in a commanding 4-0 lead at the break, as they comfortably landed Bet365’s 11/10 about a Chelsea/Chelsea double result.
The Spaniard completed his treble after half-time while substitute Florent Malouda added the sixth with ten minutes to play. Roberto di Matteo’s men have been cut to finish in the top four by Ladbrokes, who have them at 11/8 from 2/1.
Djibril Cisse’s late goal was scant consolation for Rangers, who are now no bigger than BetVictor’s 4/6 (from 5/4) for a return to the Championship following a weekend where their relegation rivals Wigan, Bolton and Aston Villa all picked up at least a point. Mark Hughes’ side end the campaign with a trip to title hopefuls Manchester City, but first host Stoke at Loftus Road next Sunday, for which they are an early 11/10 quote.
Elsewhere in the capital, 4/9 Tottenham defeated a lacklustre Blackburn Rovers 2-0 at White Hart Lane to regain fourth place. Harry Redknapp’s men are 5/6 with Blue Square to maintain a position that should see them qualify for the Champions League at the end of the season.
Rafael van der Vaart converted from close range in the 22nd minute after Gareth Bale’s initial header had hit the crossbar before Kyle Walker’s stunning long range free-kick in the second half settled matters. Blackburn, who didn’t have a single shot, are as short as 1/100 for the drop.
Results: Chelsea 6-1 QPR, Tottenham 2-0 Blackburn
- RT @English_AS: Juan Carlos I (King of Spain): "Madrid played better. Hala Madrid" — 5 hours 29 min ago
- Nice of Real Madrid to wear them Luton tracksuits on such a big night. — 7 hours 30 min ago
- Moyes being linked with every job going now. If he's got any sense, he'll take that long break he was supposed to take a year ago. — 14 hours 21 min ago
- @TheThomoHawk Hey pal, are you doing the Rangers v Stranraer game on Saturday? I'm back in the Stats wagon. — 14 hours 22 min ago
- @toddycounago @marklangdon @RacingPost Got mine yesterday. Leaving the house this afternoon and not coming back until I've read it! — 15 hours 11 min ago