Torres treble sinks Rangers
A first Chelsea hat-trick from the much-maligned Fernando Torres helped the Blues to a thumping 6-1 victory against West London rivals Queens Park Rangers, a result that had meaningful implications at the top and bottom of the Premier League.
A first minute goal from 5/1 opening scorer Daniel Sturridge set the Champions League finalists on their way, while a John Terry header and two smart finishes from Torres put them in a commanding 4-0 lead at the break, as they comfortably landed Bet365’s 11/10 about a Chelsea/Chelsea double result.
The Spaniard completed his treble after half-time while substitute Florent Malouda added the sixth with ten minutes to play. Roberto di Matteo’s men have been cut to finish in the top four by Ladbrokes, who have them at 11/8 from 2/1.
Djibril Cisse’s late goal was scant consolation for Rangers, who are now no bigger than BetVictor’s 4/6 (from 5/4) for a return to the Championship following a weekend where their relegation rivals Wigan, Bolton and Aston Villa all picked up at least a point. Mark Hughes’ side end the campaign with a trip to title hopefuls Manchester City, but first host Stoke at Loftus Road next Sunday, for which they are an early 11/10 quote.
Elsewhere in the capital, 4/9 Tottenham defeated a lacklustre Blackburn Rovers 2-0 at White Hart Lane to regain fourth place. Harry Redknapp’s men are 5/6 with Blue Square to maintain a position that should see them qualify for the Champions League at the end of the season.
Rafael van der Vaart converted from close range in the 22nd minute after Gareth Bale’s initial header had hit the crossbar before Kyle Walker’s stunning long range free-kick in the second half settled matters. Blackburn, who didn’t have a single shot, are as short as 1/100 for the drop.
Results: Chelsea 6-1 QPR, Tottenham 2-0 Blackburn
- RT @howiehok34: It's like Alan Ball all over again. Pellegrini seems to think City needed 5 goals. — 22 min 41 sec ago
- @tommillard @jpmchugh Still not sure how that happened tbh, but very valid point about class players - 3 moments, 3 goals. — 26 min 23 sec ago
- RT @up_the_creek: 5 Englishmen played in a city side who beat Bayern. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Neil Ashton you fucking bell — 32 min 34 sec ago
- RT @MUFC_today: It's funny that City are getting torn apart by Bayern Munich. Already 2-0 there #mufc — 33 min 30 sec ago
- @tommillard Unbelievable. Hope I didn't put you off! — 43 min 10 sec ago