Torres treble sinks Rangers
A first Chelsea hat-trick from the much-maligned Fernando Torres helped the Blues to a thumping 6-1 victory against West London rivals Queens Park Rangers, a result that had meaningful implications at the top and bottom of the Premier League.
A first minute goal from 5/1 opening scorer Daniel Sturridge set the Champions League finalists on their way, while a John Terry header and two smart finishes from Torres put them in a commanding 4-0 lead at the break, as they comfortably landed Bet365’s 11/10 about a Chelsea/Chelsea double result.
The Spaniard completed his treble after half-time while substitute Florent Malouda added the sixth with ten minutes to play. Roberto di Matteo’s men have been cut to finish in the top four by Ladbrokes, who have them at 11/8 from 2/1.
Djibril Cisse’s late goal was scant consolation for Rangers, who are now no bigger than BetVictor’s 4/6 (from 5/4) for a return to the Championship following a weekend where their relegation rivals Wigan, Bolton and Aston Villa all picked up at least a point. Mark Hughes’ side end the campaign with a trip to title hopefuls Manchester City, but first host Stoke at Loftus Road next Sunday, for which they are an early 11/10 quote.
Elsewhere in the capital, 4/9 Tottenham defeated a lacklustre Blackburn Rovers 2-0 at White Hart Lane to regain fourth place. Harry Redknapp’s men are 5/6 with Blue Square to maintain a position that should see them qualify for the Champions League at the end of the season.
Rafael van der Vaart converted from close range in the 22nd minute after Gareth Bale’s initial header had hit the crossbar before Kyle Walker’s stunning long range free-kick in the second half settled matters. Blackburn, who didn’t have a single shot, are as short as 1/100 for the drop.
Results: Chelsea 6-1 QPR, Tottenham 2-0 Blackburn
Best of the Bets Show
- Much excitement @Heavenbet Towers about the Champions League final tonight. Bayern Munich are 1.79, Borussia Dortmund 4.77, the draw is 3.9. — 3 hours 42 min ago
- Much drama in the NBA last night, and its the turn of Memphis and San Antonio tonight. The Grizzlies are 1.42 to win @heavenbet — 3 hours 43 min ago
- Best bets tonight all revolve round the man the tabloids like to call Mario Mandzukic. 1st card, 1st goal, booked anytime that sort of thing — 4 hours 21 min ago
- @sammydymond & @Peter_Maitland & @TheNorthMonkee have been saying for many months that it would be an all German final at Wembley today — 4 hours 24 min ago
- You know it must be summer when you see Cartmel are racing today — 4 hours 26 min ago